Inside The Mind Of An Automotive Geek

Friday, August 3, 2007

Left or Right, Does it Matter?

Early morning yesterday, while I was sitting on my backyard’s bench, watching over the vehicles passing by, a thought came out of my mind. In the streets of Detroit, even in the entire United States, why do all drivers keep their vehicles on the right lane of the road?

Would it be because most people are right handed, making it convenient to manipulate the gear stick, adjust the radio or wrestle with the earphone of your hand-phone with your right hand, leaving all other tasks of steering on your left hand?

Well, if that is so, then the people in Japan are mostly left handed so what happens then?

The tradition of doing major tasks with the dominant hand leaves out two-thirds of the world’s population believing in several customs, which mostly are practically lacking valid reason and so it goes varying from country to country.

What would be happening if people got the choice on where the driver’s seat is settled? Would it be depending from person to person or would it jsut create more trouble? The worst scenario would be if drivers got the option to run their vehicles either sides - they’d probably be ending lifeless. The world would be very much unruly with this concept - vehicular accidents would be found everywhere. Frightening idea.

Youngsters die due to lack of care, road safety knowledge and enforcement of road rules. Well, that was just an “IF”. It’s good enough that laws have been made to protect the people and as much as possible prevent road accidents.

Being left- or right-handed doesn’t actually matter in driving, as long as you secure yourself with efficient application of safety precautions. This includes compliance in maintaining individual auto parts, preventing yourself from getting trapped in the middle of a street. Just like what happened to me, in my newbie era as a driver, not being conscious on checking over the parts of my vehicle. It was involving my Hyundai Scoupe radiator. I wasn’t able to check on it before I left home, so my engine suddenly overheated. It served as a lesson learned. Then, I’ve set simple rules for myself to prevent the-likes from happening. I even browsed the web for some basic tips.

Just to share, I also found this Traffic Safety Tips, discussing on the HOW’s and WHY’s on managing turn signals, passing safely, slow moving vehicles, allowing some space, right on red, the right of way, and traffic control signs and signals. They are basic, but still, some people fail to apply it. We know accidents would be greatly reduced, if people would be more careful, conscious and be complying with the rules.


posted by AutoGeek at 6:18 PM

<< Home